Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 207 - Aldershot

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 206) Next page (Volume 3, Page 208)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Dakota Aeroplane
South of the Headquarters, Airborne Forces, Allison Road. One example of the thousands of these American aircraft which carried supplies and parachute forces on operations during the 1939/45 war. Ref: The Aldershot Military Town Trail, (Southern Tourist Board).     SU 864 520
0104 72
Gymnasium
Maida Gymnasium, Queens Avenue. Originally the Command Central Gymnasium but known as the Maida Gym as it stood alongside the Maida Barracks. Floor area of 8,742 square ft. The scene of royal visits and civic functions including a ball given by the Mayor of Aldershot for visiting officers during the 1948 Olympic Pentathlon. Ref: The Aldershot Military Town Trail, (Southern Tourist Board).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 864 514
0104 73
School (Site)
Croft Road, close to the present parish hall. The Revd. George West founded the first Sunday School in a small thatched building. It later became the first day school. Ref: The Old Parish Church of St. Michael of Archangel, Aldershot, (Branson), p.26.     SU 868 498
0102 11
Brickworks (Site)
Kemp's Brickworks. Dates from the C.18 and probably the oldest and largest of several brickworks in the area. Large clay pit, 50 ft. deep - now being filled in. Ref: The Story of Aldershot, (Cole), p.294.     SU 867 495
0102 07
Wharf (Site)
Aldershot Wharf (formerly Farnham Road Wharf) situated on the south bank of the Basingstoke Canal on both sides of the road at the bridge. Site of the Row Barge Inn. The Vicar of Aldershot held services here on the coming of the camp. Site of Hills Boathouse where boats could be hired for recreation on the Basingstoke Canal. Ref: 1. The Story of Aldershot, (Cole), pp.23, 29. Ref: 2. The Origins of Military Aldershot, (Cole), pp.8, 9.     C.A.
SU 862 523
0104 63
House
No. 89, Victoria Road. 2-storey building with added shopfront. Birthplace of Sir Claude Auchinleck.     SU 865 506
0104 106
Barracks
McGrigor Barracks, Stanhope Lines. Three red brick barrack blocks. 2 storeys. Huge chimneys. Brick built camp followed the removal of the wooden hutments at the turn of the century. A, B and C blocks are now part of the R.A.M.C. units stationed in Cambridge Hospital.     SU 866 513
0104 97
 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 206) Next page (Volume 3, Page 208)