Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 41 - St Bartholomew

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 40) Next page (Volume 4, Page 42)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
No. 81. 2 storeys. Colourwaslied brick and slate roof. Small C.19 gables. Ground floor has two doors with flat hoods on brackets, one door with fanlight, Tuscan order and open pediment. One Venetian window. Mid C.18 rails along front.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 295
1502 74
Building
C.18
Walcote Chambers. Mid C.19 stuccoed street front. 2 storeys. Red brick, with Ionic porch at side. Hipped tile roof. French, sash and casement windows. Elegant house set back in its garden, which with the holm oak on opposite side of road, gives a sense of space to this part of the High Street.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 295
1502 75
Building
C.18
No. 85. Plain brick, dentil cornice, parapet and hipped old tile roof. 3-storey. Modern shop front with Corinthian pilasters. C.19 sash windows, some blank.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 295
1502 77
Buildings
C.18
Nos. 86 and 87. 3-storey. Red brick walls with parapet. Two 2-storey bow windows on first and second floors. Cornice at second floor level carried across building and round heads of bow windows. Modern shop fronts.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 295
1502 78
Building
No. 91. 3-storey, yellow brick. Elegant classical facade, decorative pilasters to windows and ground floor arches. Building faces Southgate Street.     C.A.
SU 475 295
1502 145
Building
C.19
Nos. 98 to 100. Unusual Dutch styled building with three curved gables. Dated 1891, C.J.D., 4-storeys. Tiled roof with crested ridge and brick chimneys. Brick with decorative stone bands. Sash windows. The building adds depth and variety to the street scene. Architect J. Stopher.     C.A.
SU 480 295
1502 148
Building
C.16
Nos. 101 and 102. God Begot House. 4 storeys. Sides and north front in fairly original condition with plaster infilling to timber framework. Front to High Street restored. Timber-framed for one half of total front, with two oversailing gables above 3-storey projecting bays. Tiled roof. Modern shop fronts and modern lattice casement windows above. East wing rebuilt 1960, but retains timbering. Building is on the site of the Manor and Sanctuary of God-be-Got, an ancient enclosure independant of the city from 952-1541. The old shambles were on the eastern side of the building. Architect B. Cancellor.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 295
1502 67
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 40) Next page (Volume 4, Page 42)