Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 44 - St Bartholomew

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 43) Next page (Volume 4, Page 45)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Statue
C.20
Alfred the Great. 1901. Standing bronze figure, raising one arm with a sword, on a rough block granite base. Statue by Sir Hamo Thornycroft. Inscribed 'Aelfred, To the founder of the Kingdom and Nation.' Celebrated in 1901, as the thousandth anniversary of Alfred's death, a year of great celebrations.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 485 293
1502 103
Hyde Close (north side)
Cottages
C.19
Nos. 1 to 19 (consec.). Terrace of small 2-storey cottages. Flint with red brick dressings. Pantile roofs.     SU 479 301
1502 128
Building
C.19
Opposite Nos. 21 to 25. Originally a schoolhouse, by Soane. Red brick with hipped slate roof. Sash windows with arched heads in arched recesses. Central recess has double doors. Formerly used as a drill hall.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 300
1502 27
Hyde Close (south side)
Wall
C.17
Nos. 20 to 25. Formerly the garden wall of No. 23, Hyde Street. Flint and brick with brick and tile coping. Two Tudor brick buttresses on south side. North and west sections of wall only protected as a scheduled ancient monument.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 428
SU 480 300
1502 28
Arch
C.17
In wall of No. 25. Stone arch now blocked. Jacobean-Renaissance carved head with fan motif. Formerly part of Hyde House.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 428
SU 480 300
1502 29
Hyde Street (west side)
Building
C.19
No. 21A. 3-storey. Red brick. Central tower of 4 storeys. Gothic window on ground floor. Designed by Thomas Stopher in 1869. Originally a brewery.     C.A.
SU 480 300
1502 111
Building
C.17
No. 23. Hyde Abbey House. Refronted late C.18. 2 storeys and attic. Red brick walls, modillon cornice and string course between floors. Hipped old tile roof with five dormers. Central doorcase. Doric pillars supporting open pediment. Radiating and wreathed fanlight. Some C.17 panelling and ceilings in interior. Former Hyde Abby School, long considered as one of the first classical seminaries in the kingdom. Described by Charles Dickens as 'Rood Priory' in 'Household Words', 1850. Ground floor room used for cockfighting in early C.19. Ref: Parish of Hyde. (Pennell).     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 300
1502 03
Garden Wall
C.18
No. 23. Flint and brick. Brick and tile coping.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 300
1502 24
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 43) Next page (Volume 4, Page 45)