Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 47 - St Bartholomew

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 46) Next page (Volume 4, Page 48)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
No. 60. Smaller version of Nos. 58 and 59. 2 storeys. Red brick with grey brick string course and old tile roof. Doorway with plain bracketed hood over modern glass door. Brick stack with moulded cap.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 301
1502 10
House
C.17
No. 75. Hyde House. 2 storeys. Red brick walls, old tile roof. Dutch gable on west front, moulded brick cornice at springing of gable, broken in centre for central panel. Moulded string course. Blocked oval window. Blocked doorway, arched with Doric pilasters, entablature and curved pediment in moulded brick. South front of 2 storeys. Brick with moulded wooden cornice and plaster band under. First floor level stucco band. Early C.19 doorcase and hood. Stone east front with C.15/16 window on first floor.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 300
1502 11
Barns
C.17/18
No. 75. Two stone barns with old tile roofs. Three hipped bays facing road, Now converted for use as a historical rescue centre.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 300
1502 02
Walls
No. 75. Contemporary stone and flint walls with tiled coping round the courtyard.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 300
1502 01
Building
C.19
Brewery. No. 83. Dark brick buildings on either side of iron gates. Two large gables, one inscribed 'W.B. Co. Ltd. 1904' the other 'Hyde Brewery rebuilt 1821.' Arched windows. C.19/20 frosted glass, decorated with etched grapes and the words Counting House. Excellent example of C.19 brewery, with a typical brewery yard.     SU 481 300
1502 118
Building
C.19
Swan Inn. Stucco building on site of the original Swan Inn. Located just outside the North Gate and opposite the C. 1 8 fairground.     SU 481 300
1502 119
Jewry Street (west side)
Buildings
C.19
Nos. 3 to 5 (consec.). 3-storey, Victorian. Yellow brick buildings. Heavily emphasised first floor windows. Ground floor shop fronts. No. 4 has an Edwardian glass shop front, with Art Nouveau leaded glass at top. Important part of street scene viewed from St. George's Street.     C.A.
SU 479 295
1502 165
Building
C.19
No. 11A. The Old Gaol. Refaced and extended in 1805. 3-storey. Central part of old gaol, originally consisting of this block and two wings with angle pavilions, one of which remains. Yellow stock brick walls, with rusticated and vermiculated stone quoins, stone cornice and pediment. Roof not visible. Modern shop front on ground floor. Building shows influence of Dance's Newgate Prison, 1770. The Old County Gaol has stood on this site since C.12. Architect. G. Moneypenny.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 296
1502 81
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 46) Next page (Volume 4, Page 48)