Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 48 - St Bartholomew

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 47) Next page (Volume 4, Page 49)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Church
C.19
United Reformed. Dated 1853. Early English style. Built of yellow stock bricks with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Triple-arched ground floor, with triple lancet window above and side lancets outside the main gable. Architect. W.E. Paulton.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 296
1502 80
Building
C.19
No. 12. The Debtors' Dining Hall. Part of the old gaol, built 1805. Originally the north angle pavilion of same style as central part. Large single first floor window, with rusticated stone frame, key block and hood. Ground floor modern shop front. Heavy cornice.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 296
1502 79
Building
C.19
No. 13. 3-storey. Red brick. Heavy balustrades across ground floor bays to join them to form porch to central doors. Five steps to main doors with two cast-iron columns and railings.     C.A.
SU 480 296
1502 166
Building
C.18
No. 16. Rendered, 2 and 3 storeys. Gable, old tile roof behind parapet. C. 19 shop front. Sash windows with glazing bars. Tripartite sash above.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 296
1502 57
Buildings
C.16/17
Nos. 17 and 18. 2-storey with gable at one end facing street. No. 17, entirely rebuilt. Both buildings restored and brick nogging infilling inserted in timber framework. Old tile roof. Lattice casement windows. Modern shop front to No. 17. Central recessed doorway to No. 18. Original Tudor arch fireplaces on ground floor.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 296
1502 58
Building
C.19
The Public Library. Completed 1838. Street front of 1 storey. Central projecting portico, with four Tuscan stone columns on flight of stone steps. Symmetrical wings and angle pavilions of yellow stock bricks on stone plinth. Moulded stone string course at springing of window arches, large rusticated stone quoins, wide flat eaves cornice. Pediment over central portico. Square bell turret above, with brick base, stone string course, corner Doric stone pilasters and wide eaves cornice. Wooden louvres each side. Slate roofs. Formerly a corn exchange. Restored over the years. Architect: Owen Brown Carter.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 297
1502 59
Building
C.18/19
Theatre Royal. Originally the market inn. Rebuilt as a theatre in 1919, by additions to the rear. Adapted as cinema 1920. 2 storeys to street, 3 storeys at side. Upper part stucco, with pairs of Ionic pilasters and swag decoration between. Frieze with rosettes, modillion eaves cornice and brackets at corners. Slate roof. Eight pilasters on street front. Modern entrance with glass canopy. Remodernisation in progress during the past years.     T. & C. P. Act
SU 480 298
1502 60
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 47) Next page (Volume 4, Page 49)