Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 69 - St John and All Saints

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 68) Next page (Volume 4, Page 70)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Buildings
C.14/15
Nos. 24 and 25. 2 storeys. Formerly Blue Boar Inn. Originally C.14. Timber-framed hall house, with jettied upper floor supported by massive bracket at northeast corner. Exposed frame with curved braces on ground floor, large corbels supporting upper part. Wide overlapping vertical boards cladding first floor. Original wooden tracery on some windows. Old tiled roof, gable at south end, modern extension to rear. Major restoration in 1970 revealed much of the original house. Much modernised appearance now.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 487 295
1503 02
St. John's Street (east side)
Building
C.19
Former School. At one time the St. John's National School for Girls and Infants. School house in same style. Brick buildings with pan-tiled roofs. Carved bargeboards to gables, particularly on west fa‡ade. Architect: J. Colson, 1857.     C.A.
SU 487 294
1503 65
House
Nos. 50-52 (consec.). Tudor House. C.16 in appearance, but possibly older. Altered and and modernised. 2 storeys and attic. Ground floor of flint and stone, stone plinth. Timber-framed, upper part oversailing. Old tile roof. Irregular windows including two oriels and modern leaded casements.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 487 293
1503 10
Cottages
C.19
Nos. 53-64. Frontage of small cottages dating from early to late C. 19. No. 63, narrow-fronted with gable. 3-storey. Small paned sash windows 6-panelled door. No. 64, double fronted. Red brick patterned with grey headers. Other exhibit wide range of small and large paned sash windows. 4 and 6-panelled front doors, some with glass top panels. Two have slate slab porches.     C.A.
SU 487 293
1503 127
St. John's Street (north side)
Buildings
C.18
St. John's Croft and Nos. 34 and 35. 2 storeys and attic. Red brick with painted stucco window arches. Slate roof with three dormers. Late C.18 central projecting porch. Stucco panelled with round-arched window and pediment over. No. 35, the west wing, of dark red brick. High mansard old tile roof with two dormers. Tripartite casement windows. No. 34 at rear of No. 35. Red brick with tile roof. One storey and attic. Tripartite casement windows.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 487 295
1503 03
Walls
C.18
Garden walls of St. John's Croft. Stone, flint and brick. Repaired.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 487 296
1503 05
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 68) Next page (Volume 4, Page 70)