Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 87 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 86) Next page (Volume 4, Page 88)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Castle Avenue
Great Hall
C.13
Winchester Castle. Built 1232-1240, by Henry III. Flint with stone dressings and tall 2-light windows with early plate tracery. 5-bay arcade with tall Purbeck shafts. Entrance altered C.19 to centre of one side, porch added. Roof renewed 1873. Bronze statue of Queen Victoria, 1897. Mediaeval Round Table. Remains of round tower and sally port.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 95
SU 477 294
1505 18
Building
C.20
Castle Avenue Offices. County Hall. Part 2-storey and attics, part 3-storey. Eastern section 1912, western section 1932. Built in Elizabethan style of flint and Bath stone. Tiled roof with many chimneys. Irregular windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 477 295
1505 02
Castle Hill
Building
C.18
No. 4. 3-storey. Red brick with bands, and rusticated stucco ground floor. Brick and stucco cornice with corbels in pairs. Brick parapet. Roof not visible. North end includes rusticated arched passage (footway to the West Gate).     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 295
1505 05
Building
C.19
Castle Hill Offices. County Hall. Completed 1895 in Elizabethan style. Flint and Bath stone with tiled roofs. Features as Castle Avenue offices.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 477 295
1505 03
Cathedral Green
Tombstones
Including stone in memory of Thomas Thetcher, a Grenadier 'who died of a fever caused by drinking small beer when hot.' Tomb to Sarah Harmer, maid in the house of Mrs. David, Jane Austen's landlady.     C.A.
SU 481 293
1505 335
Memorial
Hampshire County Memorial. Stone base with bronze wreaths set in corners. Leading by steps to a tapering stone column with relief badges, and surmounted by a stone cross. Inscriptions around the base to the fallen of the two World Wars of the present century. Impressively situated on axis at main west door of the Cathedral. Architect, Sir Herbert Baker.     C.A.
SU 481 293
1505 400
Memorial
The Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Facing County Memorial on the left of west end of the Cathedral. Dedicated to the fallen of both World Wars. A square stone base with inscriptions and badges, on which stands a high stone plinth, surmounted by a bronze statue of a Rifleman in the Field Dress of 1914. Sculptor, J. Tweed, 1922.     C.A.
SU 481 293
1505 401
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 86) Next page (Volume 4, Page 88)