Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 90 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 89) Next page (Volume 4, Page 91)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Christchurch Road (east side)
House
C.19
No. 47. Flint walls with red brick dressings. 2-storeys and attics. Multi-gabled red tiled roof. Symmetrical front with porch. 4-pane sash windows.     SU 475 286
1505 298
Houses
C.19
Nos. 39-45 (odd). Four early Victorian painted brick houses. Hipped slate roofs. Alternative houses have either single or 2-storey bays with hipped slate roofs. Porches with Tuscan columns and hipped slate roofs. Rendered and painted garden walls.     SU 475 287
1505 297
House
C.19
No. 5. Painted brick with band at first floor level. 2 storeys. Hipped slate roof. Central door with fanlight. Bay windows on ground floor, sashes above.     SU 476 292
1505 374
The Close
Church
C.11
Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity. Transepts, crypts and part of nave 1079-1093, by Bishop Walkelyn. Tower fell 1107 and rebuilt later. Retro-choir and Lady Chapel early C.13. Nave remodelled by Bishop Edington 1345-66, and William of Wykeham 1366-1404, with his master mason William of Wynforde; a Perpendicular recasing of the Norman nave. Cathedral built of Isle of Wight stone. Contains important furnishings of all periods, particularly the Bishops' chantry chapels.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 292
1505 195
Building
C.14/15
The Deanery. Incorporating the Prior's Hall. Now divided into two floors and attics. Long Gallery, now library 1666-79. Central part of house with staircase C.17. Main entrance portico of three C.13 arches with 2-storey Tudor stone building over. Purbeck marble piers and shafts. Timber roof with arched braces in hall. Old tile roof. Long Gallery of red brick on an open ground floor. Five lattice windows. Architect: R. Frampton.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 291
1505 194
Wall
C.19
The Deanery. Red brick with triangular coping. Much repaired and rebuilt.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 291
1505 174
Wall
C.18
Between the Deanery wall and Pilgrims Hall. Flint and stone with tiled coping.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 291
1505 175
House
C.17
No. 1. Dated 1699. Red brick with blue headers. 2.storeys and attic. Entrance set back between 2-storey projecting wings. Old tile roof with gabled dormers.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 292
1505 191
Wall
C.18
To No. 1. Part ashlar and part flint.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 292
1505 193
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 89) Next page (Volume 4, Page 91)