Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 91 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 90) Next page (Volume 4, Page 92)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Path and Wall
Water Close. Mediaeval and later date. Stone, flint and brick wall. Paved and cobbled path C.18/19. Great landscape value.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 292
1505 190
Building
C.13/14
Pilgrims' Hall. Early hammer-beam roof. Inserted floor, modern windows and entrance. Important 3-bay roof with reputedly the earliest hammer- beam known. Half-hipped tile roof.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 291
1505 176
Building
C.17/18
No. 3. Pilgrims' School. Incorporates Mediaeval work, including part of original Pilgrims' Hall. 2 storeys and attic, and 2-storey wings. Red brick walls and old tile roof. Centre door with Tuscan porch. Fine rain water heads.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 290
1505 177
Building
C.16
The Old Stables. Timber-framed with brick infill on ground floor, plaster above. 2 storeys and attics. Tiled roof with three gabled dormers. Queen- post roof. Entrance under timber arch in middle of side, now blocked.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 178
Building
C.15/16
Cheyney Court. Adjoining south entrance gate to Close. 2 and 3 storeys. Stone ground floor walls, with overselling timber-frame and plaster infill above. 3 gabled front to Close. Old tile roof. Close wall forms part of back of house.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 179
Building
C.15
Porter's Lodge. Similar to Cheyney Court and forming a 2-storey projecting gabled part of the Cheyney Court block.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 180
Gateway
C.15
Prior's Gate. Main entrance to The Close. Plain four-centred arch with original traceried doors. Coat of arms aver arch. Castellated parapet.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 291
1505 189
Walls
C.13
Close Boundary Walls. Limestone rubble of C.13 and later date. Particularly well-preserved in Symonds Street and St. Swithun Street. Listed separately where they do not run in conjunction with the City Wall. Centred on grid reference.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 291
1505 189
House
C.17/18
No. 4. The Judge's Lodging. 2 and 3 storeys. Centre part red brick with stone dressings, side parts chequer brick. Pediment to centre. Tiled roofs. Modern porch. Late C.18 east wing.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 291
1505 181
Wall
C.18
No. 4. Flint and brick with tiled coping. Possibly earlier than C.18 date.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 182
House
C.17
No. 9. 3-storey. Three-gabled stone building. Old tile roof. 8-light mullioned and transomed window in each gable. Gothic porch added circa 1840. Good chimneys. Georgian staircase.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 291
1505 184
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 90) Next page (Volume 4, Page 92)