Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 92 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 91) Next page (Volume 4, Page 93)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.18/19
No.10. Much altered, but contains a C.13 vaulted stone undercroft and panelled room above. 3- storey. Mixed stone, flint and brick walls with C.18 dentil cornice. Parapet, and old tile roof. Four window stone wing with tiled roof.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 292
1505 195
House
C.17
No. 11. Mid-late C.1 7, but altered and dated 1727. 2 storeys and attic. Red brick walls. Eaves cornice, and bowed pediment over centre. Central panelled door with stone surround, reached by flight of steps. Old tile roof with brick chimneys.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 292
1505 171
Wall
C.18
No. 11. Built of ashlar.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 292
1505 172
Building
C.14
The Carnery. (Charnel House). Remains in wall west of the Cathedral. 2 storeys. Stone and flint. Hipped old tile roof with two gabled dormers.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 292
1505 173
Buildings
C.17
Nos. 5, 6, 7 & 8. Dome Alley. Building commenced in 1661. Two groups of 3-storey houses opposite each other on narrow lane. Each group of eight gables is two houses. Red brick walls with old tile roofs. Gables altered and straight bargeboards added. Lead rain water pipes probably from earlier Tudor building. Izaak Walton died at No. 7 in 1683.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 291
1505 183
Building
C.17
Wolvesey Palace. Bishop's residence. Rebuilding began for Bishop Morley, 1684. East wing pulled down 1781. 2 storeys and attic. Stone ashlar with first floor string course and bracketed stone cornice. Old tile roof with stone chimney stacks. Coat of arms over central door. All windows mullioned and transomed lead casements. North wing is the C.15 chapel of Wolvesey Castle, probably incorporating older work. Doorways and west gallery circa 1684.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 484 290
1505 186
Castle Ruins
C.12
Wolvesey Castle. The ruins are remains of a castle erected by Bishop Henry de Blois (1129-1171). The original Bishops' residence. The mainly C.15 chapel remains in use.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 101
SU 484 291
1505 188
Building
C.18
Wolvesey Stables. 2 storeys. Ashlar, with hipped tile and slate roof. Central pedimented section with two windows, two coach doors and a bulls eye in the pediment. Wings either side.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 290
1505 187
Colebrook Street
Building
C.19
Welcome Hall. On corner with High Street. Mostly 2-storey in flint and random stone with yellow brick trim. Brick crenellations. Gable to street just visible over parapet. Rounded wall into Colebrook Street. Slate roof with six dormers.     C.A.
SU 483 293
1505 315
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 91) Next page (Volume 4, Page 93)