Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 95 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 94) Next page (Volume 4, Page 96)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
Headmaster's House. Built 1839-42, by G.S. Repton in Gothic style. 3-storey. Knapped, squared flint with stone dressings. Straight- headed windows with pointed lights. Slate roofs with tall Tudor stacks. Plain Georgian rear wing with sash windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 290
1505 128
Gateway
C.19
East of Headmaster's House. Ashlar, four-centred arch with moulded head.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 290
1505 129
Court and Gate
C.14
2 storeys, but of similar design to Middle Gate. A four-centred arch, with a niche above containing a statue of the Virgin. Stable court on west and screen dated 1663. Old brew house converted into the Moberly Library 1932-4.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 290
1505 127
Building
C.14
Warden's Lodgings. Altered in C.1 8 and 1832-3, when east side refronted in coursed knapped flint. 2 3toreys, stone below, brick above. Part remodelled in 1692. Chimney piece dated 1615. Late C.17 staircase.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 203
Buildings
C.14
Chamber Court with Middle Gate. Part of original buildings, foundation stone 1387, opened 1394. Middle Gate of 3 storeys. Monument tower at north east end of the Chapel, 3-storey with 2-light windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 237
Buildings
C.14
Chapel of six bays with a wooden lierne vault. Thurbem's Chantry Chapel on south side 1485, but rebuilt by Butterfield 1862-3. Crimean War memorial of 1858, by Butterfield. Woodwork by W.D. Caroe 1913-21. Stall ends and misericords original work of 1390-5.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 238
Building
C.14
College Hall. Hall is on the upper floor, with the original schoolroom below. Ashlar faced with large 2-light window. Roof with arched braces. Panelling of 1540.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 241
Cloisters
C.14
132 ft. square. Bare stone walls on the outside. Within are open wagon roofs and 3-light openings under two-centred arches. Good monuments of various dates.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 239
Building
C.15
Fromond's Chantry. In the centre of the Cloister. 2 storeys of green Ventnor stone, with turret stair. Built by John Fromond, the founder's steward, bequest of 1420. Chapel below with library above. Lierne vault with bosses. Roof of building, visible in the library, rests on stone angel busts.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 240
Gateway
C.19
Stewart Memorial. 1885. Four-centred ashlar arch with carved spandrels and Tudor roses. Inscription over. Carved triptych above with saints and coat of arms.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 288
1505 244
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 94) Next page (Volume 4, Page 96)