Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 96 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 95) Next page (Volume 4, Page 97)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Gate and Wall
C.18
Non-Licet Gate with wall adjoining. Four-centred ashlar arch with wooden double doors and postern set in flint wall and tile capping. C.18 and earlier work.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 288
1505 246
Building
C.20
New Hall. 1958-60, by Peter Shepherd. Blue brick and stone. Listed for the fine woodwork of 1680-3 taken from the Chapel by Butterfield. Screen reredos with Ionic columns and panelling.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 288
1505 243
Building
C.19
College Mill. Red brick. 2 storeys. Tiled roof with gables. Formerly a flour mill, altered and modernised, with no machinery remaining.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 288
1505 245
Wall and Gateway
Old wall of stone with tile capping, C.18 and earlier, surrounding College Mead. Includes the Ridding Memorial Gateway of 1905. Four-centred arch with early wrought-iron gates.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 287
1505 248
Wall
C.19/20
South of South Africa gateway. Circa 1900. Flint wall contemporary with the buildings.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 288
1505 222
Gateway
C.20
South Africa Gateway and adjoining buildings facing Kingsgate Street. 1902-4. Flint and stone with Gothic doorway. Polygonal turrets, oriel window and armoury. Contemporary buildings of similar style. Flint with tiled roofs.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 288
1505 224
Building
C.17
Sick House. Dated 1656. Built on site of Carmelite Friary. Red brick with stone dressings. Double gable-ended tiled roof with parapet. 2.storeys and attic. Projecting 2-storey porch. Addition of 1775. Restored 1962.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 288
1505 223
Buildings
C.19
Memorial. 1898. Red brick with Bath stone in the Baroque style. 2 storeys with 9-bay front. Central recessed loggia with double Tuscan columns. Double gabled slate roof. Heavy Baroque features, tower and balconies.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 288
1505 225
Cloisters
C.20
War Memorial. 1924. Knapped flint and stone. Central gabled entrance with Madonna. Arcade interior, double Tuscan columns carrying arches. In the centre of the Cloister is a cross. Architect: Sir Herbert Baker.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 289
1505 226
Building
C.17
School. Red brick with stone dressings. One lofty storey. Modillion eaves cornice and hipped tiled roof. Central door with bowed pediment. Statue of the founder in enriched niche over door. Fine garlands over the windows. Interior with fine plaster ceiling and panelling.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 482 289
1505 242
Wall
C.18
Behind Nos. 9-15, Kingsgate Street. Stone rubble and flint with tile capping. C.18 or earlier date.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 289
1505 236
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 95) Next page (Volume 4, Page 97)