Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 100 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 99) Next page (Volume 4, Page 101)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.17
No. 9. 2 storeys. Plaster with tiled gable and tiled roof. Two modern shop fronts, bow window on first floor. Slate hung rear wing, rebuilt 1973. Interior has contemporary panelling on first floor. Building of C.17 date but altered and restored.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 155
Great Minster Street (east side)
Houses
C.18
Nos. 1 and 2. 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical pair of early C. 18 houses. Red brick with blue headers. No. 1 colourwashed. Old tile roof with three modern gabled dormers. Moulded eaves cornice. Plain doors with flat hoods.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 293
1505 156
High Street (south side)
Bridge
C.19
City Bridge. Junction of High Street and Bridge Street. 1813. Stone, single segmental arch of ashlar. Alternate voussoirs projecting and and capped with small moulded string course. Stone balustrade. Wrought iron lamp holders.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 65
SU 486 293
1505 285
Building
C.19
St. John's Hospital. Dated 1817, 1831 and 1833 on rainwater heads. 2 storeys with 3-storey tower at entrance. Grey brick walls with red diaper pattern and dressings. Stone quoins. Arch to main entrance. Machiolations on tower. Tiled roof, chimneys in clusters of octagonal shafts. Recent alterations.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 485 292
1505 272
Buildings
C.18
Abbey House. 2 storeys. Red brick with battlemented parapet and two small 4-storey towers at the corners. Tiled roof. Ground floor central door, two Gothic windows and two slits C.19 insertions. Garden front C.18 with cornice, parapet and pediment. Hipped tile roof. Sash windows with glazing bars. Built on part of the site of King Alfred's Nunnaminster. House set in formal garden.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 484 293
1505 149
Fence
C.19
Abbey House. Very decorative heavy cast- iron fence of C. 19 date. Presented by R. Moss when Abbey House became mayor's official residence.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 484 293
1505 151
Building
C.18
Garden Temple. Abbey House. Built across conduit to Mill circa 1750. Possibly designed by William Pescod in 1751, and only a fragment of the original. Roman-Doric portico of four columns, entablature and pediment crowned by urns.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 484 292
1505 150
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 99) Next page (Volume 4, Page 101)