Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 112 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 111) Next page (Volume 4, Page 113)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.18
No. 134. 3 storeys. Painted brick walls with projecting brick string course. Hipped slate roof with wide flat eaves. Sash windows. Oval window in central panel on second floor with radiating glazing bars. Ground floor windows with sliding shutters. Doorcase of Tuscan pilasters, modified entablature, cornice and panelled doors. 2-storey stable wing to right.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 474 277
1505 66
House
C.18
No. 136. 2 storeys. Painted brick walls with red brick dentil cornice. Old tile roof. Casement windows in segmental heads. Plain door.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 474 277
1505 67
St. Cross Road (east side)
Milestone
C.19
Stone inscribed ' 1 mile to Winchester', on an iron plate.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 474 276
1505 74
Inn
C.18/19
The Bell. 2 storeys. Painted brick walls, tile hung at rear. Hipped old tile roof. Sash window with glazing bars. Open pedimented central door and C. 19 bay on ground floor.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 475 278
1505 73
Building
Hospital and Chapel of St. Cross. St. Cross Hospital, founded in 1136 by Henry de Biois, Bishop of Winchester. Church, transitional Norman C. 1 2/13, cruciform with massive central tower. Other buildings principally early C.15, enlarged during bishopric of Cardinal Beaufort. Entered from small court through entrance gate (C.14/15 detail). Main quadrangle with range of fourteen 2-storey almshouses, one tall shafted chimney to each. Hall with 2-light windows adjoins on west side the main gate tower, which has a range of buildings over a cloister on the east side, linking the tower with the church. Varying dates and rebuildings.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 476 277
1505 71
Building
C.19
The Master's Lodge. Built in 1899. Detached house in pleasant garden. Flint with stone dressings and red tile roof. Decorative stone chimneys. Mullioned, leaded lights, casement windows.     C.A.
SU 476 278
1505 305
Wall
Hospital of St. Cross. Flint with tile coping, part red brick on east side.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 476 278
1505 72
Building
C.18
No. 79. 2 storeys. Rendered. Hipped old tile roof with two brick stacks. C. 1 9 shop front with 3-light casement windows above. Panelled door with hood.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 279
1505 70
Building
C.18/19
No. 77. 2 storeys. Painted brick with old tile roof. Sash windows and one casement. Plain door.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 475 279
1505 69
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 111) Next page (Volume 4, Page 113)