Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 115 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 114) Next page (Volume 4, Page 116)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
St. James' Villas
Houses
C.19
With No. 3, St. James' Lane. Circa 1830. Series of pairs of semi-detached villas. 2 storeys. Originally two windows to each block, but most have additions. Stuccoed band pilasters flank each block. Hipped slate roofs. French windows below, sashes above.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 477 291
1505 17
St. Michael's Passage
Church
St. Michael. Repaired 1822, Nave added 1882-90 by Butterfield. Flint and stone wall chequered in the gable with tile roof. C.15 tower. Windows with geometrical tracery. Saxon sundial on south wall.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 289
1505 205
St. Michael's Road
Building
C.19
Friary House. 2 storeys and attic. Rendered with steep multi-gabled tiled roof. Fine carved wood- work including bargeboards. Veranda with twisted columns. Casement windows. Built by Savage, an artist, for his own use about 1870.     SU 478 290
1505 323
St. Swithun Street (south side)
Buildings
Nos. 1 and 2. C.18 refronting of older buildings. C.16/17 work at back visible from College Street. 3 storeys. Colour washed brick with parapet and old tile roof. Part tile hung at rear. Pair of doors in centre with contemporary steps, plain surrounds and moulded cornice. Band at first floor level. No. 1 has first floor Venetian window at rear.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 109
Rear Garden Wall
C.18
Nos. 1 and 2. Part renewed. Twelve rusticated red brick piers with ball finials. Dwarf brick wall with stone coping between.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 290
1505 110
Gateway and Church
Kingsgate and the Church of St. Swithun upon Kingsgate. C. 1 4 gateway, one of two remaining city gates. Stone and flint, interior with open timber roof. Two C. 18 pedestrian entrances with brick arches. Battlemented parapet. Gateway only, a scheduled ancient monument. C.16 church built over gateway. Small windows from circa 1500. Plain timber roof. Stained glass east window. Restored and refurbished 1971.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 99
SU 481 290
1505 111
Building
C.19
No. 3. 3 storeys. Red brick with dentil cornice and parapet. Arched and recessed doorway. Fanlight of stained glass in art nouveau lily design. Roof not visible. Window on east elevation with wrought iron balcony.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 291
1505 112
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 114) Next page (Volume 4, Page 116)