Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 116 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 115) Next page (Volume 4, Page 117)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
No. 4. 2 storeys. Red brick with slate roof. Two windows with blank over central door. 6-panel door with fanlight. Sash windows with glazing bars.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 481 291
1505 113
House
C.19
No. 5. 3-storey. Circa 1840. Rendered, grooved on ground floor. Hipped slate roof. Arched doorway with keystone. Sash windows with glazing bars.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 291
1505 114
House
C.18
No. 12. Saint Etheiwold. An older house refronted. 2 storeys. Painted brick with plain moulded eaves cornice and old tile roof. Tiled gable ends. Moulded, dentilled and pedimented doorcase with panelled door. Incorporates part of old City Wall. Royal Coat of Arms formerly over Priory Gate on garden wall.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 291
1505 115
Wall
Fragmentary remains of the City Wall at the rear of No. 12 and Nos. 16-23 (consec.).     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 291
1505 21
Building
C.18
No. 25. 2 storeys and attic. Red brick walls with moulded cornice and hipped old tile roof. Two modern dormers. Doorway with arched fanlight, and pilasters supporting cornice and open pediment. Sash windows in elliptical heads. Incorporates part of City Wall.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 291
1505 53
Houses
C.17
Nos. 26 and 27. 2 storeys, attic and basement with projecting 3-storey wings. Formerly one house divided C.18 and new doorcase inserted. Old tile roof with three dormers. Red brick with moulded eaves cornice. Doorcases have engaged Doric columns, entablature and open moulded pediment. Sash windows with segmental keystone heads. Home of James Duke of York in C.17.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 291
1505 54
Houses
C.19
Nos. 27A and 27B. Red brick with bands. 3 storeys. Slate roof. One arched window with traceried head on first floor. Mostly sash windows with glazing bars.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 291
1505 55
St. Swithun Street (north side)
Wall
C.13
Close Boundary Wall. Limestone rubble, particularly well preserved. Part of the old City Wall. Centred on grid reference.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 483 291
1505 189
St. Thomas Street (east side)
Buildings
C.18
Nos. 2 and 3. 2 storeys and attic. Painted brick. Old tile roof with three gabled dormers. Small shop fronts below. No. 2 has panelled door, and lion design door knocker. Plaque: Birthplace of John Lingard 1770-1851, Historian.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 107
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 115) Next page (Volume 4, Page 117)