Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 118 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 117) Next page (Volume 4, Page 119)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Buildings
C.18
Nos. 19A, 19B, 19C. Masons Yard. Originally stables, restored 1972 and adapted to modern houses. U-shaped plan with pedimented gable ends to road with filled in arch motif. Smaller pedimented arched yard entrance in screen wall. 2 storeys, brick with old tile roof. Bands, dentils in gables. Arches with keystones and impost blocks. Panelled doors with Tuscan surrounds.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 293
1505 47
Houses
C.17/18
Nos. 21 and 22. Back of St. Thomas's Church- yard. 2 storeys and attic. Grey brick with red dressings. Old tile roof with two dormers each. Altered doors.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 293
1505 48
House
C.18/19
No. 23. 2 storeys with attic. Red brick walls with parapet. Hipped old tile roof and three dormers. Central door with plain architrave surround, scroll brackets and flat cornice. Balanced side wings, garage inserted in right hand wing.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 293
1505 49
House
C.18
No. 24. 2 storeys and attic. Painted brick with band at first floor level. Old tile roof with two gabled dormers. Mid C.19 south wing. Cast iron railings. C.12 2-bay vaulted undercroft.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 50
Houses
C.19
Nos. 25 and 26. 3-storey. Rendered with slate roof. Full height canted bays on either side of doorway. Doorway with fanlight and bracketed hood.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 51
Building
C.19
No. 27. Circa 1840. Greek revival influence. Rendered, with hipped slate roof. Curved corner, one window on St. Thomas Street, three on St. Clements Street. Giant order of pilasters with acanthus capitals above small paned shop front.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 104
Building
C.19
Nos. 28 and 29. Circa 1840. Description as No. 27. No. 29 is a continuation, but with first floor oriel windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 480 294
1505 105
Southgate Street (west side)
Emblem
Black Swan Buildings. Life-sized wooden swan standing on a heavy wooden bracket, its neck circled by a crown-like collar. Bunch of grapes hanging from bracket. Carved by Mr. Lavety and erected by public subscription. Black Swan Hotel, formerly on the site, is mentioned in Copper Beeches as the meeting place of Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson and Miss Hunter.     C.A.
SU 479 295
1505 319
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 117) Next page (Volume 4, Page 119)