Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 119 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 118) Next page (Volume 4, Page 120)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Buildings
C.19
Nos. 2-10 (even). 3-storey. Rendered. Nos. 8 and 1 0 with basement. Parapet, roof not visible. First floor wrought iron balconies and flower rails with crossed arrows design. Modern shop fronts except Nos. 8 and 10, which have arched doorways and fanlights.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 294
1505 33
House
C.18
No. 12. 3 storeys and basement. Red brick walls, moulded string course, brick cornice and parapet, Roof not visible. Windows with segmental brick arches and stone keystones. Two bays to right set forward. Doorway with arched pediment hood elaborately moulded and supported by brackets. Corinthian pilasters. Steps with iron railing.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 294
1505 34
Building
C.18
No. 14. Southgate Hotel. 3 storeys and basement. Red brick with moulded brick cornice below parapet. Roof not visible. Centre first floor window with brick Tuscan pilasters and bowed pediment. Doorway with portico, wooded Doric columns and pilasters. Rear elevation of 3 storeys. Central Roman-Doric porch. Sash windows with elliptical heads. 2-storey brick extension in same style built 1935. Good lead work dated 1715.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 479 294
1505 24
House
C.18
Serle's House. 3 storeys. Red brick with hipped slate roof. Central large canted bay with segmented sides, one window in each face. Central part with Doric pilasters, dentilled segmental pediment below ramped parapet with run. Flanking wings. Rainwater heads with cypher of George III. Interior contains contemporary staircase. Illustrated on Godson Map of Winchester 1751.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 293
1505 25
Walls, Piers and Gates
Serle's House. Modern red brick walls with stone coping. Piers with moulded caps, wrought-iron gates with overthrow. C.18 appearance to match house.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 293
1505 26
Building
C.19
Hampshire Record Office. Formerly the church of St. Thomas and St. Clement. Built 1845-6, steeple completed 1857. Decorated style. Coursed rubble with tiled roof. Tower with brick spire. Three gables to street with chancel and aisles. Good geometrical tracery and many pinnacles. Of great visual impact in the town. Architect. E.W. Elmbley.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 478 293
1505 27
Church
C.19
Garrison Church. Peninsula Barracks. Early C. 19, apse added 1891. Formerly the garrison school. Red brick with flint panels. Eleven bays. Pedimented gable end and slate roof. Interior, giant segmental arches of stone.     SU 478 292
1505 369
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 118) Next page (Volume 4, Page 120)