Hampshire Treasures

Volume 4 ( Winchester)

Page 124 - St Michael

 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 123) Next page (Volume 4, Page 125)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Wharf Mill. Red brick. Dated 1885. 4 storeys and attic. Eaves cornice, slate roof. Built on 3-arched bridge with red brick walls. Gutted, modernised and converted into dwellings, with new wing on left, in 1970. Retains visual interest. Once contained the terminal offices and warehouses of the Itchen Navigation. Open space nearby was used mainly for storage of coal, this being the main traffic on the canal.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 485 289
1505 277
Building
C.18/19
Wolvesey Lodge. 2 storeys and attics. Adjoining Wharf Mill. Painted and rendered brick. Red tile roof with red crested ridge tiles and dormers. 6-pane sash windows on ground floor, C. 19 casements above.     C.A.
SU 485 289
1505 341
Houses
Nos. 37 and 38. (Bargee Cottages). No. 37 colourwashed brick with brick string course between floors. C.18. 2 storeys. Old tile roof. No. 38 C. 1 6. 2 storeys. Red brick ground floor, timber-framing above with original brick nogging, part herringbone. Old tile roof. Door at side.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 485 289
1505 276
Bridge
C.18
Black Bridge. Graceful, single span stone arch. Stone parapet walls. Original stone pavement on south side. Originally a wooden bridge rebuilt in stone by Bishop Morley circa 1670.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 485 288
1505 204
 Previous page (Volume 4, Page 123) Next page (Volume 4, Page 125)