Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 1 - Beaulieu

 Previous volume (Volume 4, Page 133) Next page (Volume 5, Page 3)

Beaulieu was called "Bellus Locus Regis" (The beautiful place of the King) when King John gave the grounds of his hunting lodge to the Cistercian monks in 1204.

There are both Stone Age and Bronze Age traces in the parish, but the Abbey and its associated buildings are of the greatest interest; this interest is not just confined to the abbey building complex (as it would now be called) but includes the remains of the chapels at Park Farm and St. Leonards. There are traces of mediaeval granges at Otterwood, Bouvery, and possibly at Sowley.

In the parish is the hamlet at Bucklers Hard where the wooden walled battleships were built by the master builder, Henry Adams.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Beaulieu.

 Previous volume (Volume 4, Page 133) Next page (Volume 5, Page 3)