Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 16 - Boldre

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 15) Next page (Volume 5, Page 17)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Deserted Settlement
Battramsley. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p. 514. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.p. 615, 617-618. Ref: 3. Deserted Mediaeval Villages, (Beresford and Hurst).     SZ 305 991
2202 67
Deserted Mediaeval Village
Pilley, once known as Pistelei. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p.p. 512, 515. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.p. 615, 618. Ref: 3. V.C.H., Vol. 5, p.81.     SZ 326 983
2202 68
Chapel of St. Mary (Site)
130 yds. due north of Pylewell House. Dated pre-1329, suppressed circa 1549. Slightly higher ground level and slab of stone only indicated site. O.S.A. No. SZ39 NE5. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.622-3.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SZ 353 959
2202 39
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
St. John. Original C.1 2 fabric enlarged and refashioned in C.1 3 and C.14. Built of ashlar and chalk rubble with flints. Short southeast tower, upper stage of brick dated 1697. C.15 nave roof and font. C.17 mural monument. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevnser and Lloyd), p.113. Ref: 2. Boldre, 1927, (Perkins).     T. & C.P. Act
SZ 324 993
2202 12
House
C.14
Warborne. Fire-brick and stone structure. Reputed to be one of King John's Hunting Lodges.     SZ 328 975
2202 43
Georgian House
C.18
Gilpins. Red brick with tile roof. Used to be Vicarage in time of Rev. William Gilpin who lived there from 1777 until 1788.     SZ 327 974
2202 20
Cottage
C.18
Newtown Park Farm Cottage. Until 1962, contained windows shaped like 4-leaf clovers. Ref: Boldre, 1927, (Perkins), p. 58. Plate 5.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SZ 342 974
2202 15
House
C.18
Bywater House. (Formerly known as 'Formosa). Plastered brick with tile and slate roofs. 2- storey with brick stacks. Probably older than date stated. Connected with Duke of Monmouth. Sash and casement windows with pointed lights. Ref: Boldre, 1927, (Perkins).     SZ 333 956
2202 22
House
C.18
Vicars Hill. 2 storeys and attic. Colour washed brick with tile roof and brick stacks. Doric pillared porch. Home of William Gilpin from 1788-1804. Ref: 1. Boldre, 1927, (Perkins). Ref: 2. Forest Survey, 1791, (Gilpin).     SZ 325 973
2202 21
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 15) Next page (Volume 5, Page 17)