Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 19 - Bramshaw

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 18) Next page (Volume 5, Page 21)

Bramshaw was partly in Wiltshire until the "County of Southampton Act 1894" put it all into Hampshire. The ancient church had its nave in Wiltshire and its chancel in Hampshire. The name means "Bramble Wood" and we still have the place names of Bramble Hill and Blackthorne Copse. The hamlets of Brook and Fritham are in this parish. An excellent view can be obtained from Pipers Wait, the high point in the New Forest, being 128 metres above mean sea level. Stone Age implements have been found in this parish, and there are remains of Iron Age barrows.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Bramshaw.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 18) Next page (Volume 5, Page 21)