Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 67 - Copythorne

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 65) Next page (Volume 5, Page 69)

Copythorne was "Cropped Thorne", which relates to the practice of pollarding trees to provide feed for the animals. There are several Bronze Age barrows, locally called "Money Hills" - probably a corruption of "many hills". At approximately the site of the present church which was built in 1843, the Roman road from Nursling suddenly turned south to Cadnam roundabout. (Strangely enough, the M27 turns south at Ower to join the A31 to the west of Cadnam roundabout).

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Copythorne.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 65) Next page (Volume 5, Page 69)