Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 89 - Dibden

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 87) Next page (Volume 5, Page 91)

The residential district of Dibden Purlieu may have got part of its name from "Purlieu" (attached to). Dibden itself means "Deep Dene" - a deep valley. The church, which was built about 1291, was destroyed in an air raid in 1940, but was skilfully rebuilt in 1955 using much of the original material. Buried in the churchyard are members of the Lisle family, the Royalists who fought against Monmouth in the battle of Sedgemoor. The church of St. John at Hythe dates from 1874. The long pier, which was constructed in 1879, is now used by the ferry which replaced the ferry to Cracknore Hard, Marchwood.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Dibden.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 87) Next page (Volume 5, Page 91)