Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 115 - Exbury and Lepe

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 113) Next page (Volume 5, Page 117)

It is not often that a whole village moves, but this is what happened at Exbury: the original village and its chapel used to be in the south-west corner of the parish. The present church was built in 1827, when the parish moved inland. Most of the parish is owned by the Rothschild family, who built Exbury House. The Exbury Gardens are very beautiful and noted throughout the world for their rhododendrons and azaleas; part of this success is due to the high acid content of the soil. Part of the parish has been designated as an Area of Special Scientific Interest. Lepe was a port in Roman times, and there is a fine view here of the Isle of Wight.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Exbury and Lepe.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 113) Next page (Volume 5, Page 117)