Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 127 - Fawley

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 126) Next page (Volume 5, Page 129)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Flying Base
C.20
Flying boat base established at Calshot by the Admiralty in March 1913. Three original wooden hangars, and later ones grouped around Calshot Castle at the end of the Spit. Some camp buildings survive further inland. Ref: Hampshire Industrial Archaeology, a guide, (Ellis).     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 489 025
2211 50
Hangar
C.20
Calshot Hangar. Important first World War structure. Possibly the biggest individual covered area at the time of building.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 489 024
2211 59
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 126) Next page (Volume 5, Page 129)