Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 129 - Fordingbridge

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 127) Next page (Volume 5, Page 131)

The town of Fordingbridge was originally known as "Forde" and the "bridge" element of the name was not added until the Avon was first spanned at this point. The Great Bridge, of seven arches, was in existence in 1286 A.D. and possibly earlier. The parish church is mainly Early English and Early Decorated in style, but the tower is Perpendicular, and the chapel on the north side dates from the early thirteenth century.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Fordingbridge.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 127) Next page (Volume 5, Page 131)