Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 143 - Hale

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 141) Next page (Volume 5, Page 145)

The parish lies north east of Fordingbridge in a surrounding area of woodland, below which the River Avon flows.

Like many parts of the New Forest, Hale has part of its area designated as being of Special Scientific Interest. Within its boundaries stands Hale House, a large eighteenth century Palladian mansion, which was the country house of architect Thomas Archer, who designed the rebuilding of Hale Church in 1717.

The church of St. Mary, built of stone with tiled roof and small oak bell tower, contains three fine eighteenth century monuments.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Hale.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 141) Next page (Volume 5, Page 145)