Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 159 - Hordle

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 158) Next page (Volume 5, Page 161)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottage
Walnut Tree Cottage, Tiptoe Road, Tiptoe. Rendered and painted C.19 facade, but some walls obviously cob. Slate roof. 2 storeys. Casement windows. Centre gabled porch. Later extensions.     SZ 259 974
1205 58
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
House
C.19
Hordle Grange, Vaggs Lane. Home of the 'Children of God' nicknamed 'The Shakers' religious sect from 1872-75. Ref: 1. Abodes of Love, 1962, (Montgomery). Ref: 2. The Shakers of Hordle, Hampshire Magazine, Nov. 1961, (Lloyd). Ref: 3. The New Forest Shakers, Milford on Sea Record Society Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 1, June 1927, (Wylie).     SZ 265 963
1205 49
Building
C.19
St. Andrew's Hall, Sway Road, Tiptoe. Corrugated iron building circa 1870. Formerly a chapel at Netley Hospital. Brought to Tiptoe as a chapel of ease for Hordle Parish Church. Now used as a hall. Ref: A History of the Parish of All Saints', Hordle, and its churches, Second Edition, 1973, p.7.     SZ 259 971
1205 50
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 158) Next page (Volume 5, Page 161)