Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 167 - Lymington and Pennington

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 166) Next page (Volume 5, Page 169)

The town of Lymington, or "Lentune" as it was called in the Domesday Book, lies on the west side of the Solent and is nowadays a thriving yachting centre and tourist attraction.

The origins of the town are obscure but, at Buckland Rings on the outskirts of Lymington, there have been Neolithic and Bronze Age finds. This site is one of the more important remaining earthworks in the Forest. The town flourished on the export of salt from its salt pans, which were developed by the Normans. During the Middle Ages Lymington started to become well known as a shipbuilding and trading port. Shipbuilding has now given way to yacht and boat building.

The affluence of the town during the Georgian period is reflected in the architecture of its buildings.

Lymington's High Street is dominated by the parish church of St. Thomas the Apostle. It includes some architectural features which are over 600 years old. The churchyard has an avenue of lime trees which were planted in the seventeenth century.

Pennington is now mainly a residential suburb of Lymington, though it does also have the main educational complex of the area: an Infant, Junior and Secondary School, and an Adult Education Centre, all at Priestlands.

Previously Pennington was for centuries a separate parish and manor. The house Yaldhurst, in fact, has a Domesday connection. Two mediaeval mills at Efford and Gordleston still exist as places and names.

St. Marks Church, Pennington parish church, was built in 1860 and is still the only church or chapel in Pennington. The mediaeval "Priestlands" establishment (whatever it was) has long since disappeared.

A Milford and Pennington Parish Council was created in 1894 and a separate Pennington Parish Council in 1911. However, in 1932, Pennington was absorbed by Lymington Borough and has shared its history since then.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Lymington and Pennington.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 166) Next page (Volume 5, Page 169)