Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 172 - Lymington and Pennington

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 171) Next page (Volume 5, Page 173)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Viewpoint
Excellent woodland and countryside views, with glimpses of the Solent and Isle of Wight, from Footpath No. 56, looking south east. Centred on grid reference.     SZ 306 943
1209 523A
Viewpoint
Open views of the countryside, including the historic Peterson's Tower at Sway, from all points along Footpath No. 59 continuing from grid reference.     SZ 307 958
1209 524A
Area of Natural Beauty
An area of marsh and tidal muds, formerly part used for salterns. Offers a variety of wildlife habitats. Important for gulls and terns in spring/ summer, waders and wildfowl in autumn/winter. Attractive views along coastline and to Isle of Wight. Part of the marshes behind the sea wall are a local nature reserve managed by Hampshire County Council. Part of the intertidal mudland is also a nature reserve. Centred on grid reference.     N.P. Act
S.S.S.I.
A.O.N.B.
SZ 322 924
1207 04A
Lake
Adjoining Yaldhurst Copse. Small lake with island. Formed by the damming of a stream and is in the shape of a long leat. Dimensions 80 yds by 9 yds. Wild fowl frequent the area. A good variety of other forms of water wildlife is in evidence. Site clearly visible from footpath.     SZ 306 962
1209 506A
Pond
Monks Pool. Fed by a stream running along the present Waterford Lane. The pool and its island have been developed as a bird sanctuary.     SZ 377 949
1209 530C
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Roman
Roman Camp
Multivallate Hill Fort. Defences where complete consists of three ramparts and two ditches. Earlier occupation suggested by the finding of a small hearth with flint flakes. O.S.A. No. SZ39 NW7. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 13, 1935-7, pp.124-64.     S.A.M. No. 12
SZ 315 968
1208 55
Mediaeval
Saxon Camp
Remains in Ravenscourt Garden, can be seen from footpath.     SZ 318 966
1208 60B
Hill Fort (Site)
Ampress Camp. Multivallate Hill Fort. Remains consist of a scarp which formed the outer face of the southern rampart. O.S.A. No. SZ39 NW8. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 21, 1960, p.162.     SZ 320 970
1208 601B
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 171) Next page (Volume 5, Page 173)