Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 215 - Marchwood

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 214) Next page (Volume 5, Page 217)

Marchwood derives its names from "smallage wood"-smallage being a wild celery. The Roman road from the Calshot/Lepe area passed through here on its way to Nursling (Onna as it was called). Roman coins have been found at Bury Farm. Cracknore was the landing place of the ferry from Southampton long before Hythe ferry was started. There was an important beacon site here at Beacon Hill, receiving and sending messages to both ends of the Isle of Wight. Now the parish has an electricity generating station which was opened in June, 1957. On the shore is the Royal Navy Ordnance Depot where the famous Mulberry Harbours were made.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Marchwood.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 214) Next page (Volume 5, Page 217)