Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 219 - Martin

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 218) Next page (Volume 5, Page 221)

The most westerly parish in Hampshire, Martin was part of Wiltshire until 1895. Situated on the River Allen (a tributary of the Avon) the village of Martin is central to the parish. Several prehistoric sites are known, including Bokerley Dyke and an earthwork known locally as Soldiers' Ring; the northern boundary of the parish is formed by Grim's Ditch which extends into Dorset and Wiltshire. The church at Martin dates from Norman times although much of its fabric is fourteenth century.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Martin.

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 218) Next page (Volume 5, Page 221)