Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 234 - Milford on Sea

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 233) Next page (Volume 5, Page 235)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12/13
All Saints', Church Hill. Structure of part exposed masonry and part rendered, both roughcast and smooth. Tiled roof. Mostly of early English date with some Norman work from a preceding church. South arcade and arches into transepts circa. 1170. North facade and tower with flanking outshuts circa. 1200. Tower has later, short recessed spire. Chancel, north and south chapels. Late C.13 picture by Perugino of Virgin and Child inside. Ref: Hampshire Churches, (Green), pp.22, 25.     T. & C.P. Act
C A.
SZ 291 921
1206 32
Farmhouse
C.16/17
Carrington Farm, Keyhaven Road. Timber-framed. Tiled roof with eyebrow curves over dormers. Large C.17 chimney stack. 11/2 storeys. Street facade painted brick, eastern side has square panel framing with brick infill. Four bays with C.19 and modern casements. 1-storey wing at rear, of brick on stone foundations. Asbestos roof.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 294 917
1206 46
House
C.17
Barnes House, Barnes Lane. Red brick with some grey brick. 2 storeys with tiled roof. Brick plinth and moulded string course at 1st floor height. Three large diagonal chimneys rise from rectangular plinth on west gable end. Both leaded glazing and Gothic style windows. Originally the Dower House of Newlands Manor.     T. & C.P. Act
SZ 286 932
1206 43
Building
C.17
Milford House, Church Hill. Original house said to date from 1680, but remodelled by Adams brothers in the late C.18. Brick centre part, with flanking wings of C.19. Castellated parapet. Tiled roof. 2 storeys. Flanking wings of 2 storeys have curved facades. Inside, spiral staircase. Converted into three flats.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 291 920
1206 33
Mill
C.18
The Mill Building, Barnes Lane. Former water mill. 2 storeys. Red brick with steeply pitched mansard slate roof. Casement windows with Gothic glazing bars.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 286 919
1206 28A
House
C.18
The Old Mill, Barnes Lane. 2 storeys. Red brick structure with eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. Sash windows. Side facade has pediment above 6-panelled door and radial fanlight.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 286 919
1206 28
Cottage
C.18
Rose Cottage, Barnes Lane. 2 storeys. Tile hung, with half-hipped tiled roof. Sash windows. Doorway with flat bracketed hood.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 287 918
1206 37
House
C.18
Old Walls, Church Hill. 2 storeys. Red brick structure with brick eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Sash windows on ground floor. Early C.19 casement windows with arched heads flanking a roundel on first floor. House originally the stables to Milford House. Early C.18 Staffordshire blue brick paving in forecourt.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SZ 290 920
1206 33A
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 233) Next page (Volume 5, Page 235)