Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 260 - New Milton

 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 259) Next page (Volume 5, Page 261)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Period Unknown
Midden
Found south of caravan park, in pasture field. Discovered in 1961 when cutting ditches. The field has been ploughed several times since but nothing of interest noticed. O.S.A. No. SZ29 NW2. Ref: P.H.F.C., Report No. 1, Jan. 1962, p.5.     SZ 246 968
1201 70B
Earthworks
On clifftop, southwest of Taddiford Farm. Drainage ditches and banks. Earth bank between two ditches. Upper ditch original, lower one modern. Indications of bank to north of modern pond. Remains of bank and silted ditch to south east. Unable to be dated. No tracks or entrances traceable. Area covered about 4 1/2 acres. Earthworks occur in overgrown valley, being eroded by the sea. Western earthwork of two ditches. Ditch 1-1.5 m deep, spoil bank 1 m high. Nearby are two small ponds in marshy area with small pondlike hollows. Possible aim of earthwork to drain surrounding area. Centred on grid reference. O.S.A. No. SZ29 SE3. Ref: 1. Ancient Earthworks of the New Forest, 1917, (Heywood-Sumner), p.60. Ref: 2. Field Archaeology as Illustrated in Hampshire, 1915, (Williams-Freeman), pp.207, 378.     SZ 261 924
1204 20C
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Travelway
Moat Lane cul de sac. Makes a right angle turn round the corner of the old moat site.     SZ 238 940
1202 10D
Footpath
West of Beckton Farm, Hordle. Runs from the Milford Road towards Beckton Bunny. Barton Common to west, and open farmland to east.     SZ 250 928
1204 16C
Footpath
Footpath leading from Manor Road to Hardy Close.     SZ 251 958
1201 12B
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Manor House
C.16
Fernhill Manor, Fernhill Lane. Now a school. Red brick exterior late C. 1 7. Hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys. String course above ground floor. Casement windows. Porch with tent shaped hood above, and wrought iron panels flanking front door. Long ranges of outbuildings.     T. & C.P. Act
SZ 244 955
1201 01B
Church
C.17
St. Mary Magdelene's, Church Lane. Low Ashlar tower of early C.17 with pinnacles at its angles. Nave was built in rudimentary Gothic style, in red brick with grey headers, 1831. The chancel was added in 1928. Inside, three quarter length stone memorial. Ref: V.C.H. Vol. 2.     T. & C. P. Act
SZ 237 943
1202 06D
 Previous page (Volume 5, Page 259) Next page (Volume 5, Page 261)