Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 301 - Sway

Previous page (Volume 5, Page 299) Previous page (Volume 5, Page 299) Next page (Volume 5, Page 303) Next page (Volume 5, Page 303)

Sway is on Avon Water and the name was "Svieia" in the Domesday Book - a noisy stream. Stone Age implements have been found here and Bronze Age barrows containing funerary urns. The landmark here is the Peterson's Tower - built in 1879-83 by A.T. Peterson, a retired judge of the Indian High Court, to prove that concrete could be used for building purposes. In this village was Arnewood House (now destroyed by fire) which was the home of the "Children of the New Forest" in Captain Marryat's book.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Sway.

Previous page (Volume 5, Page 299) Previous page (Volume 5, Page 299) Next page (Volume 5, Page 303) Next page (Volume 5, Page 303)