Hampshire Treasures

Volume 5 ( New Forest)

Page 315 - Whitsbury

Previous page (Volume 5, Page 313) Previous page (Volume 5, Page 313) Next page (Volume 5, Page 317) Next page (Volume 5, Page 317)

The parish of Whitsbury was part of Wiltshire until 1895, and is still under a Wiltshire parliamentary constituency. The name was "Wicheberia" in the twelfth century, which became "Wychbury" before the spelling was finally settled. There are several tumuli on Whitsbury Down and a large earthwork, known variously as Castle Ditches and Whitsbury Camp, overlooks the village. The Church of St. Leonard, built in the fourteenth century, was altered and restored in the late nineteenth century. Of flint and brick, with a brick western tower.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Whitsbury.

Previous page (Volume 5, Page 313) Previous page (Volume 5, Page 313) Next page (Volume 5, Page 317) Next page (Volume 5, Page 317)