Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 1 - Alton

Previous volume (Volume 5, Page 324) Previous volume (Volume 5, Page 324) Next page (Volume 6, Page 3) Next page (Volume 6, Page 3)

The market town of Alton lies eighteen miles north-east of Winchester and for a long time was famous for its hops and breweries.

Edmund Spenser lived here circa 1590, as did Cardinal Newman from 1816-1819. Eggars Grammar School was founded in 1641.
The town includes several fine Georgian buildings.

William Curtis, the botanist, was born here in 1746 and the Curtis Museum was founded in 1855. The Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital was opened here and has become world famous as a great orthopaedic hospital. The church, which is mainly Perpendicular but with a fine Norman tower, was the scene of the death of the Royalist, Colonel Boles, during a fierce fight with Parliamentary forces in 1643.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Alton.

Previous volume (Volume 5, Page 324) Previous volume (Volume 5, Page 324) Next page (Volume 6, Page 3) Next page (Volume 6, Page 3)