Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 25 - Alton

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 24) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 24) Next page (Volume 6, Page 27) Next page (Volume 6, Page 27)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Buildings (C.20)
C.20
Beech Abbey, Medsted Road, Beech. Between 1890 and 1895 monks of the Anglican Order of St. Paul lived in wattle huts and tents until the Gatehouse was completed. This is the only 'House' left in the Order of St. Paul and its object is to offer sanctuary to retired seamen of all classes. An old settle in the cloisters is reputed to have come from the 'Mayflower'.     SU 675 378
0201 07
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 24) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 24) Next page (Volume 6, Page 27) Next page (Volume 6, Page 27)