Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 27 - Bentley

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 25) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 25) Next page (Volume 6, Page 29) Next page (Volume 6, Page 29)

Bentley is five miles north-east of Alton, lying away from the main Farnham Road and attractively set in the meadows of the river Wey. The church, built between 1130 and 1140, has much thirteenth century work to show, as well as a finely carved Norman arch which separates the chancel from the north chapel. An unusual feature, the chancel clerestory, was added in the fifteenth century at the same time as the lower part of the tower was built. The early Jacobean alter rails and a priest's seat are also of interest.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Bentley.

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 25) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 25) Next page (Volume 6, Page 29) Next page (Volume 6, Page 29)