Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 41 - Bentworth

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 40) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 40) Next page (Volume 6, Page 42) Next page (Volume 6, Page 42)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
Mulberry House, formerly the Rectory. 2 storeys, attic and basement. Stuccoed walls. Parapet. Hipped slate roof with flat dormer. Sash windows. Centre square porch with frieze and two columns. Linked buildings may include remains of earlier Rectory built circa 1680. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner & Lloyd), p.101.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 667 402
1602 03
House
Paddock Bend, Holt Lane. 11/2 storeys. Brick and flint, painted. Slated half-hipped roof. Hearth Tax 1674 records house on this site.     SU 661 395
1602 39
House
Lindzey (or Lindsay) Cottage. Flemish-bond brick walls. Thatched hipped roof. Two swept dormers. Brick plinth showing original position of door. Small extensions.     C.A.
SU 664 402
1602 13
House
Strawtop, Drury Lane, formerly Post Office. Long narrow structure of red brick with thatched half-hipped roof. C.18 timber-framing in gable ends. Post Office extension built circa 1930. Whole now converted to domestic use.     SU 667 406
1602 14
Farmhouse and Barns
East End Farm. 2 storeys. Rendered and painted east front. Rear elevation, brick and flint with original fenestration, important as last unpainted example of vernacular in village. Slated roof. Believed largely rebuilt in C.18 using old materials. Timber-framed barns, one of which may be C.16.     C.A.
SU 669 402
1602 17
Farm Buildings
Wellers Place Farm. Two timber-framed barns with hipped wagon entrances. Granary on staddle stones. Barn built of red and blue bricks, hipped tiled roof and dentil course at eaves. Centre barn tie-beam and an entrance post marked 'T. King 1767'. Timbers repaired and reroofed 1975.     C.A.
SU 662 400
1602 11
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Village Green
Bentworth Holt Green. Registered with Commons Commissioners. Ref: C.R.O. Manor of Bentworth Hall Court Roll 85 M70/1 & 2.     SU 660 392
1602 33
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Farmhouse
East End Farm. According to Manor Roll, house leased by George Wither, Senior, in 1580 and as such, likely birthplace of George Wither the poet, in 1588.     C.A.
SU 669 402
1602 17
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 40) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 40) Next page (Volume 6, Page 42) Next page (Volume 6, Page 42)