Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 43 - Binsted

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 42) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 42) Next page (Volume 6, Page 45) Next page (Volume 6, Page 45)

Binsted is situated on the banks of the Wey some four miles north-east of Alton. Included in the parish is the Alice Holt Forest, home of the Forestry Commissioner's Research Station. This area has been a noted source of timber since mediaeval times. The attractive twelfth century church commands fine views over the surrounding countryside and contains an effigy of Richard de la Bere in the chapel. The body of Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery lies buried in the churchyard. The village itself contains many attractive examples of brick and timbered cottages. The Admiralty built a semaphore station at Binsted circa 1826, as one of a chain of such stations linking London and Portsmouth.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Binsted.

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 42) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 42) Next page (Volume 6, Page 45) Next page (Volume 6, Page 45)