Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 47 - Binsted

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 46) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 46) Next page (Volume 6, Page 48) Next page (Volume 6, Page 48)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Mediaeval Village (Site)
South Hay. Formerly in Alice Holt Forest. Clearly marked site with bank, well, and some house platforms sited on well drained slope. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 2, pp.488. Ref: 2. Deserted Mediaeval Villages (Beresford and Hurst).     SU 773 398
1603 97
Mediaeval Village (Site)
Neatham, Waverley Abbey. Population 96 in Domesday Survey. Grange, oratory and mill. Ref: 1. V.C.H, Vol. 2, p. 512. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p.510.     SU 742 405
1603 95
Ancient Site
Westcourt (or Westcote). Deserted mediaeval village. Ref: V.C.H, Vol. 2, p. 486.     SU 765 412
1603 98
Possible Earthworks
Neatham Down. Depressions and possible earth- works cut by oil pipeline. Pits containing flints and black, burnt or decayed organic matter. O.S.A. No. SU73 NW35. Ref: Alton Museum File No. A/C 3 (Sketch plan and section drawing).     SU 735 392
1603 46
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Ancient Travelway
The Straits, Kingsley. Possible Roman causeway and track which may run to Roman kiln site.     SU 781 390
1603 91
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
Holy Cross. Consists of a chancel with a south aisle, north chapel, and north vestry, a nave and aisles with western tower and south porch. The walls appear to be constructed of chalk rubble with clunch dressings, plastered on the interior and roughcast on the outside. The church was restored in 1863 but still retains some C.12-C.15 work. On the north side of the chancel is a C.14 chapel containing a good stone effigy of Richard de Westcote, who is portrayed as a knight in mail armour. The nave and west tower date from the late C.12. The altar is a Jacobean oak table. The vestry contains a mural brass dated 1595. The alabster font is dated 1896. In 1972 a glass panelled belfry screen was added. The churchyard contains the grave of Field Marshal the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein. O.S.A. No. Su74 SE7. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 2, p.488.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 771 409
1603 01
Farmhouse
C.16
West Court. Coursed stone and random brick structure. Ridge tiled roof. Much altered and restored. interior contains old timber, an original heavy moulded bressummer and some good inserted Elizabethan panelling.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 765 410
1603 06
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 46) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 46) Next page (Volume 6, Page 48) Next page (Volume 6, Page 48)