Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 53 - Binsted

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 52) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 52) Next page (Volume 6, Page 55) Next page (Volume 6, Page 55)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Manor Farmhouse
C.16
West Court. In 1330 Robert and Nicola de la Bere owned the Manor of Binsted St. Clare. After adding the Westcote Chapel to Binsted Church in 1331, Richard de la Bere applied to the King for a Royal Warrant to endow a chaplain who would celebrate Mass daily in the Chapel. Ref: Binsted, A Picture of its Past and Present, (Women's Institute).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 765 410
1603 06
Farmhouse
C.17/18
Kings Farm. In 1849 the owner, Mr. Daniel Inwood, directed in his will that farm and property should be sold and the proceeds to be used to found a hospital in Alton, known as the Inwood Cottage Hospital. The sale took place in 1874.     SU 771 411
1603 11
House
C.19
Telegraph House. Built in the Napoleonic Wars to form part of the proposed visual signal line from London to Plymouth, which was to branch from the existing Admiralty Semaphore System from London to Portsmouth. Ref: Binsted, A Picture of its Past and Present, (Women's Institute).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 785 414
1603 58
Mill
Isington Mill. Post war home of Field Marshal, the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein until his death in 1976. Long wooden building between house and river contained his wartime caravans, which are now in the Imperial War Museum, London.     SU 774 428
1603 24
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 52) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 52) Next page (Volume 6, Page 55) Next page (Volume 6, Page 55)