Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 70 - Bramshott

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 69) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 69) Next page (Volume 6, Page 71) Next page (Volume 6, Page 71)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Inn
C.17
Royal Anchor Hotel, Liphook. Reputed to have been an inn on the site since 1416. Famous inn on the London-Portsmouth Road. One of the Georges, Queen Victoria, Pepys and Nelson are said to have slept there. An Elizabethan door presented by Queen Victoria bears the Royal Arms. Ref: 1. Rural Life in Hampshire, (Capes), p.218. Ref: 2. A Hampshire Parish, (Newman), pp.303/4, 17, 86, 97, 103/4.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 839 315
2301 06
Building
Cottage adjoining Midland Bank, Liphook. Formerly The Post Office, where Flora Thompson, author of 'Lark Rise to Candleford' lived and worked from 1916-1927. Building bears a plaque to her memory.     C.A.
SU 839 316
2301 93
Mill House (Site)
Bramshott. 100 yds. downstream from the Old Mill. Burnt down by suffragettes Oct. 1913 as it was owned by the brother of McKenna, a Liberal Minister and later Chancellor of the Exchequer. Only steps and part of the garden wall remain.     C.A.
SU 836 332
2301 44A
Mill
C.19
Passfield Mill, Passfield. Records show that this was originally the site of an iron mill, and was converted to a paper mill late in the C.17. The existing brick building with two blind arches incorporating a date-stone 1857-70, was probably erected on the site after a series of fires in the late C.18 and early C.19. The mill pond is now dry. Mill, Mill House and adjoining buildings have been converted to accommodate a modern industry.     SU 819 344
2301 94
House
C.20
Little Boarhunt, 73 Portsmouth Road, Liphook. This house was rebuilt for himself by H. Inigo Triggs, an architect who worked locally and who also designed the New Rectory at Liphook, and Cooper's Bridge at Bramshott. He died in 1923 and there is a memorial tablet dedicated to him in Bramshott Church. H. Inigo Triggs wrote the standard work on 'Formal Gardens in England and Scotland' (1901-2) and his Elizabethan sunken garden is an interesting feature of Little Boarhunt. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.829.     SU 839 307
2301 104
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 69) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 69) Next page (Volume 6, Page 71) Next page (Volume 6, Page 71)