Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 110 - East Meon

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 109) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 109) Next page (Volume 6, Page 111) Next page (Volume 6, Page 111)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Ancient Lane
Halmaker Lane. Runs alongside Westbury Forest where it formed a boundary of the Tithing of Riplington, and is marked as such on the tithe map dated 1636. South of Coombe Cross Lane the lane continues southward, unnamed, until it joins the South Hants Ridgeway.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 668 232
2305 165
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
All Saints. Cruciform plan with ashlar faced Norman tower of circa 1150. Lead covered broach spire with small cockerel weathervane added later. West doorway and several windows of Norman date. C.13 south aisles of nave and chancel Tournai marble font circa 1130-40. Fine vigorous carving on the sides and top. Church clock with four faces and gold hands. O.S.A. No. SU62 SE15. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.199-200.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 680 222
2305 01
Chapel
C.13
Ruins of the Chapel of St. Nicholas, in the grounds of Westbury House. Part of east wall and most of west wall still standing, also large part of north and minimal part of south walls. Plain circular font removed to East Meon Church. Restoration to ruins carried out in 1981. O.S.A. No. Su62 SE3. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 3, pp.74-5. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 2, 1890-3, (Nisbett), p.1-14.     T. & C.P. Act
S.A.M. No. 268
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 657 239
2305 04
Building
C.14
The Court House. A manorial court house whose origins date from Norman Conquest, or earlier. Malmstone and flint fabric with dressings and plinth of Langrish stone. Two C.14 windows. South wall rebuilt C.17 and gable tile-hung. Rafter roof with King-posts and tie beams. Corbels carved with heads of kings and bishops. 2-storey extension of similar fabric, now a library. Original staircase of oak leads to an outside door. C.16 farmhouse at right angles to court house. Timber-framed with brick infill and tiled roof. O.S.A. No. SU62 SE9.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 681 222
2305 06
Cottage
C.14
Forge Sound, formerly 1 and 2, Hockley Cottages. Timber-framed with brick infill. Tiled roof. Hipped gable ends with scalloped tile bands. Casement windows. Sun Insurance sing and Farmers Fire and Life Insurance sign on gable ends. Originally an open hall house.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 681 221
2305 45
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 109) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 109) Next page (Volume 6, Page 111) Next page (Volume 6, Page 111)