Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 119 - East Meon

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 118) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 118) Next page (Volume 6, Page 121) Next page (Volume 6, Page 121)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Shop
C.19
South side of High Street, adjacent to Fern Cottage. 3-bay shop front with connecting wooden cornice and fascia board. Three sash windows with glazing bars above. Slate roof. Later projecting wing to east.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 681 220
2305 49
War Memorial
C.20
Centre of East Meon. Erected 1922 but bronze plaque added to commemorate 1939-45 war dead. Ashlar stone in form of pillar with cross on top. Built on terraced stone platform.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 680 221
2305 103
Cottage
Orchard Cottage, High Street. Front appears to be C19 but timber framing visible on south side. Rendered walls with slate roof. Central doorway with pediment.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 682 220
2305 152
Farmhouse
South Farm. Brick, flint, greensand stone blocks and mixed stone structure. South facing wing was the original timber-framed house, being an open-hall house of two bays, probably dating to C.15. Upper floor, chimney and east end added C.16. Also added at this time the west wing with jettied front facing west. Substantial alterations in C.18.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 684 207
2305 32
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Mounting Block
Oxenbourne House.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 691 213
2305 109
Lych Gate
Church of All Saints. Wooden framework supported on brick and flint blocks. Roof with hipped gable ends. Wooden gates.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 680 222
2305 108
Well Head
Forbes' Almshouses. Built 1858. Coursed flint with brick quoins. Tiled roof. South side of structure left open for access. Well now filled in.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 680 221
2305 104
Green
Washer's Triangle. Two seats placed on a small triangle of mown grass planted with young trees. Located in the centre of the village beside the river. A pleasant resting place for residents and visitors alike. The former site of three old thatched cottages.     C.A.
N,P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 681 221
2305 102
House
C.20
Westbury House. Following a disastrous fire in November 1904 which completely gutted the original Palladian style house, the owner Col. Le Roy Lewis completely rebuilt the house. The new house incorporated many improvements new to the C.20 such as electric lighting, internal telephones and a hot water system. Ref: West Meon (Collins & Hurst), pp.56-63.     A.O.N.B.
SU 657 238
2305 160
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 118) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 118) Next page (Volume 6, Page 121) Next page (Volume 6, Page 121)