Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 139 - Froxfield

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 138) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 138) Next page (Volume 6, Page 141) Next page (Volume 6, Page 141)

The modern civil parish of Froxfield was enlarged by the addition of Privett parish in 1932. Froxfield is situated on high ground with magnificent views of the dramatic hangers which are so typical of this part of East Hampshire. The early inhabitants of Froxfield include the Romans, who have left traces of an encampment in the south of the parish. Fragments of an earthwork running across the parish are supposed to have formed part of the boundary between the ancient kingdoms of Wessex and Sussex.

Froxfield is first recorded in a grant of land of the tenth century; it is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Book as it was included in the great episcopal manor of East Meon. the estate of Basing Park in the parish of Froxfield was held by the Love family for over 200 years from 1567. Robert Love left £1,000 to establish a free school in 1733. Another long-established local family were the Silvesters, who lived in Froxfield for 300 years.

Privett was included in the manor of West Meon until the seventeenth century when it was first recorded as a separate manor. The earliest mention of a chapel in Privett occurs in 1391, when reference is made to the fabric of Holy Trinity chapel. The present church dates from 1876-78 and was built on the site of the old church, of which nothing now remains.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Froxfield.

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 138) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 138) Next page (Volume 6, Page 141) Next page (Volume 6, Page 141)