Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 158 - Grayshott

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 157) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 157) Next page (Volume 6, Page 159) Next page (Volume 6, Page 159)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Bridleway No. 4
Junction of Headley Road/Waggoners Well Road to Ludshott Common. Path leading through woodland belt to open heath and commanding extensive views. Follows parish boundary.     SU 861 353
1609 37
Bridleways Nos. 14 and 15
Five Ways (Hill Road) to Waggoners Wells. Broad track commencing at village centre, descending by old cottages and turning right on to old travelway to Waggoners Wells. Following valley of exceptional beauty.     SU 872 353
1609 36
Bridleway No. 2 and Footpath No. 1
Ruffits, Headley Road to Kingswood Lane. Scenic path traversing two steep densely wooded hills and valleys.     SU 867 353
1609 35
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Cottages (6)
C.18
Whitmore Vale. Originally squatters dwellings along ancient valley track known locally as a 'bottom'. Cottages and lane with adjacent stream and wooded hanger present a pleasant rural feature.     SU 865 359
1609 42
House
C.18
Grayshott House, Headley Road. Stone structure built on older foundations. Well maintained in original style.     SU 862 353
1609 32
Building
C.19
Grayshott Hall. Large brick structure with tower, built 1862 on site of old settlement, and standing in 45 acres of parkland bordering Ludshott Common. Alfred, Lord Tennyson, lived here in 1867. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner & Lloyd), p.260.     SU 857 357
1609 05
Buildings
C.19
Nos. 1-7, Headley Road. Row of shops built circa 1890 when the village was first developed. Typical local design and structure; local stone and tile hung walls.     SU 874 353
1609 15
Cottages (3)
C.19
The Pines, Headley Road. Terrace built circa 1890 when the village was first developed. Typical local design and structure; local stone and tile hung walls. Not altered appreciably since erection.     SU 874 353
1609 16
Building
C.19
Crossways House, Crossways Road. Original village shop and post office. Built 1884 of local sandstone.     SU 873 352
1609 18
House
C.19
Hunters Moon, Kingswood Firs. Large brick dwelling house with associated stables and out-buildings of a pleasing and well preserved design. Built 1887.     SU 868 349
1609 26
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 157) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 157) Next page (Volume 6, Page 159) Next page (Volume 6, Page 159)