Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 186 - Headley

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 185) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 185) Next page (Volume 6, Page 187) Next page (Volume 6, Page 187)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottage
Holly Cottage, Hammer Lane. Single storey stone structure. Old tiled roof. Lattice windows. Now modernised.     SU 852 375
1610 92
Building
Barford Mill, Churt. Old flock mill and mill house converted into attractive house. Original mill, possibly C.17, timber-framed with random stone infilling. Lattice casement windows. Mill House, C.18. 2 storeys. Colourwashed brick walls. Long ridge tiled roof. Ref: 1. White's History and Directory of Hampshire, 1859. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C., Vol. 18. (Shorters 'Paper Mills in Hampshire'). Ref: 3. Headley Booklet, (Tudor Jones).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 853 377
1610 05
Millhouse
Old Mill, Barford. 3 storeys. Brick walls, with galleting between bricks. Ridge tiled roof, with stacks each end. Sash windows under segmental lintels. Elaborate pedimented porch.     SU 853 380
1610 55
Building
Bulls Hollow. Remains of lime kiln. Brick and stone structure. Believed to be the only one left in the parish.     SU 820 383
1610 65
Bridge
Huntingford Bridge. Plain stone structure consisting of two round arches and parapet, crossing the River Wey northwest of Huntingford Cottage.     SU 823 387
1610 22
Bridge
Northwest of Linstead Farm. Mediaeval pack- horse bridge, consisting of single stone arch. Parapets removed and replaced with decorative wrought iron railings of recent origin. Stage coaches once crossed this bridge on the way through Headley Wood to the Toll Gate opposite the New Inn at Sleaford.     SU 818 372
1610 21
Aqueduct
River Wey, Headley Park. Brick and stone structure possibly C.17 or C.18. Part of a complex system which encompasses similar aqueducts in surrounding parishes. Thought either to serve water meadows or possibly used in conjunction with iron works in this area.     S.A.M. No. 469
SU 813 372
1610 66
Memorial
Adjacent All Saints Church. War Memorial (1914-1918). Two pillars linked by concave wall, surmounted by a cross. Contains three bronze tablets bearing ninety-six names.     C.A.
SU 821 362
1610 98
Gravestone
All Saints Churchyard. Designed by sculptor J. Reid in memory of Alida, Lady Brittain and Sir Harry Brittain, founder of The Pilgrims.     C.A.
SU 821 363
1610 101
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 185) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 185) Next page (Volume 6, Page 187) Next page (Volume 6, Page 187)